SubjectRe: merging the per-bdi writeback patchset
Date
> On Tue, Jun 23 2009, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> > Hi

> > > OK, we can wait if we have to, just trying to avoid having to keep this
> > > fresh for one full cycle. I have posted this patchset 11 times though
> > > over months, so it's not like it's a new piece of work :-)

> > > It started out trying to get rid of the pdflush uneven writeout. If you
> > > look at various pdflush intensive workloads, even on a single disk you
> > > often have 5 or more pdflush threads working the same device. It's just
> > > not optimal. Another issue was starvation with request allocation. Given
> > > that pdflush does non-blocking writes (it has to, by design), pdflush
> > > can potentially be starved if someone else is working the device.
> >
> > Can you please make reproduce program and post mesurement result?
> > I hope to mesure the same program on my box.
>
> For which issue? Lumpy writeout can often be observed just by doing
> buffered writes to a bunch of files.

Yes, I know current behavior is not perfectly optimal.
but I haven't seen it cause serious issue.

Then, I guess you have big degression workload, yes? if so, I hope to see it.

> > Plus, Can you please write more vervose patch description? your patch is a
> > bit harder review.
>
> OK, I can probably improve on that. Do you mean the general description
> of the patchset, or some of the individual patches?

Hopefully both. honestly I haven't understand your main worryed issue.

  Last update: 2009-06-23 13:23    [W:0.054 / U:4.792 seconds]