SubjectRe: defkeymap making machine useless (was Re: HTC Dream aka. t-mobile g1 support)
On Mon 2009-06-22 11:33:31, Jiri Kosina wrote:

> > > How it's supposed to work is that you have a specific keyboard driver
> > > and that emits PC keyboard codes into the core kernel using a
> > > translation table in your driver.
> > Of course, Dream does that. But that's not _nearly_ enough. Dream
> > lacks keys such as: esc, arrows, symbols (/;'[]\-=). That means that
> > for +, you can't press shift-=, you need to press altgr-P.
>
> I don't seem to have enough context, but wouldn't writing a separate serio
> driver, which would do all the needed translations be enough here?

Umm.

Yes, we could parse the keyboard combinations in the keyboard driver,
and then emulate the PC keyboard. It would be incredibly ugly. Such as:

If user presses Alt+I, (labeled "-" on keyboard), emulate "Shift+="
press, then let the defkeymap.map translate it back to "-".

I... guess it will be nicer if the keyboard driver specifies which
keymap to use?
Pavel

  Last update: 2009-06-22 19:25    [W:0.236 / U:0.288 seconds]