Subject[RFD] Pluggable code design (was: can we reuse an skb)
Date
Peter Chacko wrote:
> What i am considering here is the super optimization of memory buffers
> for a multi-layer packet processor, without needing to move packets
> into user space. In that case, i am optimizing my custom network stack
> with a pre-allocated MTU sized and a few jumbo-sized buffers. And no
> interrupts as i do NAPI at all times, as this is a dedicated
> appliance. I keep all these buffers in the L1 cache and hence i have
> different sets of pools for different cores. I am currently guiding
> my engineers to implement the code changes now..

Yes, having a customizable/pluggable network stack sounds very useful.

In general, OpenSource projects like Linux don't give much incentive to
pluggable designs, because the source, being open, represents a weired form
of pluggability. Unfortunately, this "hack it up / code it hard" design
style usually inhibits healthy development.

A rethink is probably in place...

Thanks!

--
Al

  Last update: 2009-06-21 13:47    [W:0.572 / U:0.016 seconds]