SubjectRe: [patch] ipv4: don't warn about skb ack allocation failures
David Rientjes <rientjes@google.com> writes:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
>> But Mr. Reintjes if you really want the traces I can set up
>> an script to email them to you every time it happens. Say about
>> 1 a minute from my paltry little farm of machines.
>>

> Perhaps you missed my email where I suggested emitting the page allocation
> warnings only when CONFIG_DEBUG_VM is enabled. It's at
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/6/18/355.
>
> We can then keep the __GFP_NOFAIL flag to indicate that the warnings
> should never be emitted for that allocation, regardless of the .config.
>
> It's funny, though, that the problem that originally started this thread
> was quickly diagnosed because of these messages. As far as I know, my
> suggestion to increase /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio to kick pdflush
> earlier has prevented the slab allocation failures and not required
> delayed acks for nfsd.

increase?

Perhaps then the problem is simply dirty_background_ratio. Is the vm
not properly autotuning?

With a 50MB/s disk I wonder what the proper window size is. Several
gigabytes as implied by a 5% or a 10% dirty_background_ratio seems
absurd. TCP sockets seem to get along fine with even large latencies
and windows measured in megabytes not gigabytes.

This does explain a few things.

Eric

  Last update: 2009-06-20 03:31    [W:0.064 / U:0.784 seconds]