SubjectRe: 2.6.30 kernel panic when closing lid
Frans Pop wrote:
> Andreas Sundstrom wrote:
>> My laptop has started crashing when I close the lid. This does not
>> happen with 2.6.29.4 which I was using before 2.6.30, I configured my
>> 2.6.30 kernel with the 2.6.29.4 as the base and then did "make
>> oldconfig" and then most of the questions I got I used the default
>> setting.
>
> That sounds like it may be a known issue, although it's somewhat strange
> that you did not see it with earlier kernels.
> Can you test if the following workaround fixes the crash?
>
> echo -n 7 >/proc/acpi/video/C09A/DOS
>
> See e.g.: http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0901.1/01971.html
> You can find more information by googling for "hp 2510p lid close crash"
> (but it affects other models as well).
>
> Cheers,
> FJP

I think you hit the nail on the head there.. It seems to work now with
DOS set to 7 instead of 0 as it defaults to.

Funny thing is that I know remember going through this issue some time
ago.. I have since then changed from ubuntu to debian lenny. It used to
be taken cared of by a hotkeys script in init.d and I have now installed
the corresponding debian package for that and all is well.

Many thanks for your help, funny how fast one can forget sometimes..
Strange though that I did not have any issues with 2.6.28, 2.6.29 (not
that I can remember at least).

/Andreas

  Last update: 2009-06-20 00:45    [W:0.185 / U:0.068 seconds]