SubjectRe: PowerPC PCI DMA issues (prefetch/coherency?)
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:58:27 +0100
Chris Pringle <chris.pringle@oxtel.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> We're developing on a Freescale MPC8272 and are having some nasty
> problems with PCI bus mastering and data corruption.
>
> We have some custom hardware that is bus mastering, reading data from
> the CPUs memory for it's own use. Most of the time, the data is correct,
> however occasionally we are seeing data that appears to be from
> somewhere else in memory (usually memory that has already been read by
> the PCI device). The problem looks like stale data on the PCI bridge
> prefetch buffers or a cache coherency problem, but we've been unable to
> come up with a solution to our problem. It is my understanding that it
> shouldn't be a cache coherency problem as the CPU cache should be
> snooped as the data is read from memory. Even if it were an issue, the
> pci_map_sg* functions should have sorted out any cache coherency issues
> before the DMA operation started.
>
> I've not been able to find anything on the Freescale data sheet that
> provides any way of flushing the prefetch cache on the PCI bridge. We've
> done a bit of experimenting, and found that turning off prefetch appears
> to solve (or possibly mask?) the problem (at the expensive of massive
> performance problems). I've also tried DMA'ing two adjacent userspace
> buffers in memory (from the same page), and see corruption on the second
> buffer. If I populate both buffers, then DMA them both, the data is
> fine. If I populate the first, DMA the first, then populate the second
> and DMA the second, corruption occurs at the start of the second buffer.
> If I add 8-32 bytes of padding between the buffers, the problem goes away.
>
> The PCI spec says that the PCI bridge is supposed to flush any data from
> it's prefetch buffers that are not read by the bus master, so
> technically, this isn't supposed to happen.
>
> I've tried making sure that buffers are cache line (and page) aligned,
> and are multiples of cache lines, but it's made no difference. PIO mode
> works fine, and I've checked the data with the CPU just before, and
> immediately after the DMA and the driver sees no data integrity issues.
> There are memory write barriers just before the DMA start, so all the
> registers should be correct before the DMA starts.
>
> For background info, the device doing the bus mastering is a Xilinx
> Virtex 5 FPGA. We've monitored the data as it comes off the PCI bus
> using ChipScope - so the firmware should not be manipulating the data in
> any way.
>
> We have some hardware/firmware/drivers that has a lot of common code
> that runs on an x86 platform (as opposed to powerpc), and that works
> without any issues whatsoever.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas what this might be? Does anyone of know issues
> with PCI bridges on the PowerPC platform? Is there extra things that
> need to be done from the driver when DMAing on PowerPC (I've looked at
> other drivers and there's nothing obvious). The chip errata doesn't have
> [...]

Can you try allocate the data buffer using dma_alloc_coherent, that can making
the data coherency.

I got the similar issues in the arm cpu with a dma device base on spartan3, using
the dma_alloc_coherent making it works well.

hope this help.

thanks.
--
steve

  Last update: 2009-06-16 17:09    [W:1.035 / U:0.064 seconds]