SubjectRe: [2.6.30] Kernel bug with dock driver
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Joerg Platte wrote:
> > If the bug cannot be reproduced in that condition, it is happening
> > because userspace is trapping the lever release event (as it should),
> > and doing something the kernel doesn't like with it (which is a bug
> > in the kernel in any case). That might help you track down a better
> > way to reproduce the issue.
>
> if [ -d $ULTRABAY_SYSDIR ]; then
> sync
> echo 1 > $ULTRABAY_SYSDIR/delete
> logger "removed $ULTRABAY_SYSDIR"
> fi
> sync
> # Turn off power to the UltraBay:
> if [ -f /sys/devices/platform/dock.2/undock ]; then
> echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/dock.2/undock
> logger "/sys/devices/platform/dock.2/undock"

There might be a race there, as you call undock but you don't really know if
the SCSI device was deleted.

> What I discovered today after modifying ultrabay_open was that in some cases
> the script is called again directly after inserting a drive to the bay. But
> only, if the execution of this script takes some more time (I added a sleep 2
> after the second sync to be able to see which command might trigger the bug).

So, please try to reproduce this by sending a number of delete requests
back-to-back in a row, and also mixing delete requests with undock requests.
When you find out what causes the OOPS (and it _is_ a bug in the kernel if
any of those oops), we can try to direct the bug report to someone who can
fix the problem.

> to undock a device while it is in the process of being undocked? How should I
> modify the udev rule to prevent another execution each time a drive is
> inserted into the bay?

You will need locking, unfortunately. Also, check if there is a device in
the bay. event+device in bay == hotunplug. event+no device in bay ==
hotplug.

That is, if the events don't already tell you (i.e. different events for
plug and unplug). I don't recall right now if the ACPI events are
different, but I do recall the thinkpad BIOS follows the ACPI spec correctly
on this area.

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2009-06-15 22:33    [W:0.070 / U:0.120 seconds]