SubjectRe: [tip:perfcounters/core] x86: Add NMI types for kmap_atomic

* Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 20:25 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
>
> > but ... look at the APIs i propose above. We dont need _any_
> > 'types'.
> >
> > That type enumeration is basically an open-coded allocator. If we do
> > a _real_ allocator (a balanced stack of atomic kmaps) we dont need
> > any of those indices, and all the potential for mismatch goes away
> > as well - a stack nests trivially with IRQ and NMI and arbitrary
> > other contexts.
>
> You want types because:
> - they encode the intent, and can be verified
> - they help keep track of the max nesting depth
>
> In the proposed implementation all type code basically falls away
> no ! CONFIG_DEBUG_VM, but is kept around for robustness.

But much of the fragility of the types (and their clumsiness - for
example in highpte ops we have to know at which level of the
pagetables we are, and use the right kind of index) is _precisely_
because we have the types ...

Unbalanced unmaps will be detected under CONFIG_DEBUG_VM: kunmap
uses 'page' as a parameter which is checked against the pte entry -
they must match.

I.e. it becomes a symmetric and expressive API:

kaddr = kmap_atomic(page);
kunmap_atomic(page);

Hm?

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-06-15 20:47    [W:0.087 / U:0.684 seconds]