    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL v2] Early SLAB fixes for 2.6.31
    On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 08:45:27PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > > On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 12:27 +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > > > Init code doesn't deserve to be more lazy than anybody else, and
    > > > part of the reason why such a core piece of code is so crufty
    > > > is exactly because people have been lazy there.
    > >
    > > I think the main problem isn't necessarily init code per se, but the
    > > pile of -common- code that can be called both at init time and later.
    > Just seems bogus argument. Everwhere else that does this (ie.
    > allocations that are called from multiple allocation contexts)
    > passes correct gfp flags down.

    Fair enough that you jealously defend SL?B code from onslaught, but
    FWIW I strongly agree with Ben on all this. I cannot see the point
    of the pain of moving around SL?B versus bootmem, if we immediately
    force such a distinction (differently dressed) upon their users again.
    I fully agree with Ben that it's the job of the allocator to provide
    a service, and part of that job to understand its own limitations at
    different stages of running.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-15 14:41    [W:0.034 / U:3.508 seconds]