SubjectRe: [patch update] PM: Introduce core framework for run-time PM of I/O devices
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:57:31 +0200
"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl> wrote:

> On Sunday 14 June 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 June 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Below is the current version of my "run-time PM for I/O devices"
> > > patch.
> > >
> > > I've done my best to address the comments received during the
> > > recent discussions, but at the same time I've tried to make the
> > > patch only contain the most essential things. For this reason,
> > > for example, the sysfs interface is not there and it's going to
> > > be added in a separate patch.
> > >
> > > Please let me know if you want me to change anything in this
> > > patch or to add anything new to it. [Magnus, I remember you
> > > wanted something like ->runtime_wakeup() along with
> > > ->runtime_idle(), but I'm not sure it's really necessary. Please
> > > let me know if you have any particular usage scenario for it.]
>
> Appended is an update of the patch addressing the today's comments
> from Magnus.

few comments from me

1) For the usecases for upcoming hw from Intel (where you really can't talk to the hw while it's in powersave mode); the locking needs to be
IRQ safe. Think of it like this:
Lets assume you get a (shared) interrupt from your device. In the handler you need to make 100% sure that
1) you're not suspended at this point .. basically do a forced wakeup right there and then
2) assure that you're not about to suspend
2) You use jiffies in the API; I would suggest exposing milliseconds instead and internally convert to jiffies;
milliseconds tends to be a much more natural unit for this sort of thing

  Last update: 2009-06-15 01:21    [W:0.147 / U:25.428 seconds]