    SubjectRe: HTC Dream aka. t-mobile g1 support
    On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Pavel Machek<> wrote:
    >> > Is there a reason that this couldnt be done in userspace?
    >> It'd be a lot more overhead -- in some cases it's updated with
    >> relatively fine granularity (wifi driver changing state, backlight
    >> changing, etc), and on the kernel side it's just updating a shared
    >> memory location with the current estimate.  Userspace doesn't
    >> necessarily have the visibility into driver state to update it
    >> accurately, and punching that information down to userspace and then
    >> having userspace feed it back up to the kernel seems like more
    >> overhead and code to maintain to me.
    > Actually I agree with Brian here, this is better done at kernel level.
    > OTOH, at least initially, it does not need to be done at all. It will
    > make battery readings less reliable but hey... the battery meter does
    > not work reliably anyway and estimating capacity left from voltage
    > acceptably on other platforms...

    I'd agree. This stuff can wait until the core support is solid. I'd
    fight harder for conditional support for wakelocks since that has a
    much bigger impact on battery life (being able to know when it's safe
    to power collapse in idle, etc), whereas this just improves the
    accuracy of the battery gauging.

      Last update: 2009-06-13 00:39    [W:0.021 / U:70.864 seconds]