    SubjectRe: HTC Dream aka. t-mobile g1 support
    From
    On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Pavel Machek<pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
    >> > Is there a reason that this couldnt be done in userspace?
    >>
    >> It'd be a lot more overhead -- in some cases it's updated with
    >> relatively fine granularity (wifi driver changing state, backlight
    >> changing, etc), and on the kernel side it's just updating a shared
    >> memory location with the current estimate.  Userspace doesn't
    >> necessarily have the visibility into driver state to update it
    >> accurately, and punching that information down to userspace and then
    >> having userspace feed it back up to the kernel seems like more
    >> overhead and code to maintain to me.
    >
    > Actually I agree with Brian here, this is better done at kernel level.
    >
    > OTOH, at least initially, it does not need to be done at all. It will
    > make battery readings less reliable but hey... the battery meter does
    > not work reliably anyway and estimating capacity left from voltage
    > acceptably on other platforms...

    I'd agree. This stuff can wait until the core support is solid. I'd
    fight harder for conditional support for wakelocks since that has a
    much bigger impact on battery life (being able to know when it's safe
    to power collapse in idle, etc), whereas this just improves the
    accuracy of the battery gauging.

    Brian