SubjectRe: linux-next: origin tree build failure

* Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 15:44 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > This is certainly doable for agreeable features - which is the bulk
> > - and it is being done.
> >
> > But this is a catch-22 for _controversial_ new features - which
> > perfcounters clearly was, in case you turned off your lkml
> > subscription ;-)
>
> I didn't :-) My point here is that Linus can make a decision with
> an email -before- merging so that -next gets a chance, at least
> for a couple of days, to do the integration testing once the
> controversy has been sorted by his highness.

Uhm, the bug you are making a big deal of would have been found and
fixed by Paulus a few hours after any such mail - and probably by me
too as i do daily cross builds to Power.

So yes, we had a bug, but any extra linux-next hoops would not have
prevented it: i could still have messed up by getting lured by that
nice piece of Power7 hardware enablement patch on the last day ;-)

So the bug was my fault for being too fast-and-loose with that
particular patch, creating a ~5-commits-hop build breakage bisection
window on Power.

Now that i'm sufficiently chastised, can we now move on please? :)

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-06-12 16:11    [W:0.382 / U:0.236 seconds]