    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Performance Counters for Linux

    On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Al Viro wrote:

    > So could you please clarify the situation? If the ABI compatibility
    > requirements remain the same as they used to be, whether the userland code
    > is in-tree or not, I'm fine with the entire thing. If they do not (and *ONLY*
    > in that case), I think we have a real problem.

    I think the ABI requirements are the same.

    That said, I also suspect that as with oprofile itself, we'll end up
    having expansions of the ABI that may well be CPU-specific. I also suspect
    that there will probably be breakage early on just because things will
    inevitably settle.

    And I think that for something like a profiling tool, such breakage is
    much more acceptable than for the actual binaries you'd profile. It's not
    like we're talking about breaking the boot or functionality of a machine,
    as happens when we break the X server (which has happened).

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-10-18 23:28    [W:0.022 / U:33.024 seconds]