SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Performance Counters for Linux

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Al Viro wrote:

> So could you please clarify the situation? If the ABI compatibility
> requirements remain the same as they used to be, whether the userland code
> is in-tree or not, I'm fine with the entire thing. If they do not (and *ONLY*
> in that case), I think we have a real problem.

I think the ABI requirements are the same.

That said, I also suspect that as with oprofile itself, we'll end up
having expansions of the ABI that may well be CPU-specific. I also suspect
that there will probably be breakage early on just because things will
inevitably settle.

And I think that for something like a profiling tool, such breakage is
much more acceptable than for the actual binaries you'd profile. It's not
like we're talking about breaking the boot or functionality of a machine,
as happens when we break the X server (which has happened).

Linus

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans