SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Performance Counters for Linux
Hi.

On 06/11/2009 11:26 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:17:16PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>> I personally would expect a perf.git on kernel.org for the userspace
>> tools for it. Like we have udev.git there, iproute2.git and others.
>>
>> Seems to be working perfectly fine (except of course oprofile) and makes
>> packaging and security updates a lot easier.
> There is nothing preventing us from adding support for rpm and source rpms.
> So you just grab the relevant tre and issue a few cammnds and you have your
> packages.

Bah, having 40M .src.rpm for a 5k binary package?

Maybe I'm missing something, how exactly do you conceive the packaging?
Or do you expect packagers to download a kernel package, untar it, get
tools/ dir, tar it and package? I hope not :).

And how would we cope with a different release cycle of the userspace
tool? If one rewrites a part totally independent on the kernel, do they
need to wait for the next kernel release? Or just merge it at any time
and packagers pick it up?

> And for security fixes we have the stable kernels.

So packagers will stick with the latest stable, right? With backporting
of (only stable) new fancy features from current git until next kernel
release.

  Last update: 2009-06-12 00:21    [W:0.083 / U:0.400 seconds]