SubjectRe: HTC Dream aka. t-mobile g1 support
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 03:21:17PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Thu 2009-06-11 13:38:52, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 05:00:30AM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > > From: Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@arm.linux.org.uk>
> > > Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:49:12 +0100

> > > Then split up the responsibilities to other people instead of being
> > > the choke point. Controlling everything isn't so important.
> >
> > Don't you think that I've been trying to get other people to be more
> > involved?
> >
> > - I've been pushing people to send patches to the relevent mailing
> > list(s) and maintainer(s) for years.
>
> The patch system is actively harmful here, because you either send the
> system for discussion, or for inclusion. Picking the patches from the
> mailing list when there are no significant comments (as done on lkml)
> seems to work better.

That's your view - I used to do the "picking patches from the mailing
list" thing, and the result was that patches got dropped at an alarming
rate.

That's exactly why I created the patch system - to provide a solution
for that problem.

That problem still exists today - I still operate with email in a way
which means if I don't deal with something as soon as I see it, it gets
filed away and almost never looked at again - even if I re-mark the
message as 'New'. That means if it's inconvenient to apply a patch
(because the machine with the git trees on is powered down) then the
patch tends to get lost.

Hey, I'm useless with email, there's nothing new there. I know this
so I created a way to solve it.

With the patch system, it remains visible to me without the clutter of
lots of other email, and therefore stands a much better chance of being
applied.

It is just rather unfortunate that since the patch system was written,
a different kind of patch format was invented which isn't compatible
with the patch system, and it doesn't cope well with this other format.

But hey, if you want me to drop lots of patches, then sure just send
them by email. Just expect to nag me a lot more about applying your
patch.

  Last update: 2009-06-11 17:55    [W:0.227 / U:0.168 seconds]