SubjectRe: HTC Dream aka. t-mobile g1 support
On Thu 2009-06-11 04:53:10, Brian Swetland wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:48 AM, Pavel Machek<pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> >>
> >> You'll need to fastboot boot arch/arm/boot/zImage ramdisk.img
> >
> > Aha, fastboot implies that ramdisk is optional.. apparently it is not.
>
> Well, it *is* optional -- but the kernel as we build it needs an
> initrd to do much that's visible. Could probably enable fb console
> and provide a commandline that points console there (-c "kernel
> commandline" argument to fastboot).

Ok... but still no success. For some reason it seems to work better if
I use uImage (at least I get blank screen) than zImage (fastboot just
hangs).

> >> Extracting the ramdisk.img from the boot.img in the boot partition on
> >> an existing device is a pain.  If you happen to have a cupcake
> >> userspace built from source that ramdisk.img should be suitable.  If
> >> not, I'll try to dig up a suitable ramdisk image tomorrow -- it's just
> >> init, init.rc, and adb, but it is necessary to boot.
> >
> > I tried using ramdisk.img from sdk:
> >
> > root@amd:/data/l/android# ./fastboot boot
> > /data/l/linux-msm/arch/arm/boot/uImage
> > /data/l/android/sdk/platforms/android-1.5/images/ramdisk.img
> >
> > ...no luck :-(.
>
> Is a uImage compatible with zImage (if the bootloader copies it to
> 0x10008000 and jumps there will it start?)

No idea :-(. (And thanks for ramdisk.img; it is different from what I
have, but results seem same).

> > Better Kconfig description would certainly be nice. Renaming
> > board-trout* to board-dream* would be also nice (and should be doable
> > without any intrusive changes...?)
>
> Ah, I see. Yes, renaming the files would be easy to do and that's
> totally reasonable. I thought you wanted the machine type name
> changed.

Good.
Pavel