SubjectRE: [tip:tracing/core] x86, bts: reenable ptrace branch trace support

Debug Store is the underlying implementation, that's all.

In the current implementation, we lock the entire buffer. In a future
implementation we might not need to lock the entire buffer, any more.
The only user-visible effect is that he will get -ENOMEM for bigger
buffers than today.

>Furthermore, it appears there is an interface for setting the size,
>that's also user visible and not fixable after the fact.

I don't see how that differs from setting the initial size.

>Once you want to multiplex cpu-wide and per task BTS/PEBS contexts,
>there is no choice but to view the DS as a cpu resource, not a task
>resource, therefore you cannot specify a size, nor attribute it to
>specific tasks mm accounting.

We can still attach a buffer to a task to hold the branch or pebs trace.
When can copy the trace from the limited cpu resource to that per-task buffer
when the Debug Store buffer overflows.

The accounting is done to have the tracer, i.e. the debugger, pay for the
system resources it uses.
If we later on decide to use a fixed-size statically allocated per-cpu
Debug Store buffer, the tracer would no longer need to pay for the
locked memory. It would still have to pay for the memory to hold the bigger
tracer buffer that the debugger requested.

regards,
markus.

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052

  Last update: 2009-06-10 16:09    [W:0.075 / U:0.024 seconds]