SubjectRe: [patch] tracing/mm: add page frame snapshot trace

* Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,

> > > I'd be glad to work with you on the 'object collections' ftrace
> > > interfaces. Maybe next month. For now my time have been allocated
> > > for the hwpoison work, sorry!
> >
> > No problem - our offer still stands: we are glad to help out with
> > the instrumentation side bits. We'll even write all the patches for
> > you, just please help us out with making it maximally useful to
> > _you_ :-)
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> The good fact is, 2/3 of the code and experiences can be reused.
>
> > Find below a first prototype patch written by Steve yesterday and
> > tidied up a bit by me today. It can also be tried on latest -tip:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/mingo/tip.git/README
> >
> > This patch adds the first version of the 'object collections'
> > instrumentation facility under /debug/tracing/objects/mm/. It has a
> > single control so far, a 'number of pages to dump' trigger file:
> >
> > To dump 1000 pages to the trace buffers, do:
> >
> > echo 1000 > /debug/tracing/objects/mm/pages/trigger
> >
> > To dump all pages to the trace buffers, do:
> >
> > echo -1 > /debug/tracing/objects/mm/pages/trigger
>
> That is not too intuitive, I'm afraid.

This was just a first-level approximation - and it matches the usual
"0xffffffff means infinite" idiom.
How about changing it from 'trigger' to 'dump_range':

echo "*" > /debug/tracing/objects/mm/pages/dump_range
being a shortcut for 'dump all'?

And:

echo "1000 2000" > /debug/tracing/objects/mm/pages/dump_range
?

The '1000' is the offset where the dumping starts, and 2000 is the
size of the dump.

Ingo

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans