    SubjectRe: [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce
    Hi!

    > >> - Support for multiple swap devices
    > >> - Support for non-swap (an ordinary file can be used)
    > >> - Uses cryptoapi (LZO support, more than 2x speed of uncompressed data!)
    > >> - Asynchronous I/O, readahead, multithreaded. Get the maximum throughput
    > >> possible with your hardware.
    > >> - Userspace user interface that lets you abort hibernating and abort
    > >> resuming, get nice progress display etc.
    > >
    > > All these are either done by uswsusp already, or could be done w/o
    > > modifying kernel code.
    >
    > Given that tuxonice DOES work reliably with dm-crypt encrypted swap
    > partitions, does uswsusp offer this functionality? Looking into the docs
    > on the sourceforge site does not give any information about this
    > - point.

    uswsusp does not care what kind of device it writes on, so yes,
    dm-crypt works. IIRC seife was working on some YaST scripts so that
    setting it up was easy for users.

    > Further, being someone with a crypto background, the userland suspend
    > helper does have some issues with the password/key handling:
    > 1) no support for keys containing a 0 byte. (cryptsetup can handle
    > this)

    "passwords containing 0 byte" ? Is that a big deal? How would user
    enter such password?

    > 2) the rsa functionality seems to use the unsound practice to encrypt
    > the symmetric key directly without any padding (aka encoding in libgcrypt).

    If this is easy to fix, can you tell me what to do?

    Otherwise, can you write a short note to bugtraq? Having bad crypto in
    uswsusp would indeed be very very bad.
    Pavel

      Last update: 2009-05-07 23:47    [W:4.361 / U:4.408 seconds]