    SubjectNew TRIM/UNMAP tree published (2009-05-02)
    On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 11:11:50PM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
    > > blkdev_issue_discard() and blk_ioctl_discard() has half a page
    > > of common (and changing) code, could be done to use a common
    > > helper that sets policy about bio allocation sizes and such.
    > >
    > > Just my $0.017
    >
    > Yes, that works nicely. Thanks for the suggestion.

    I've pushed out a new git tree:

    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/willy/ssd.git;a=shortlog;h=trim-20090502

    Changes since the last version:

    - Based on 2.6.30-rc4.
    - Dropped the three patches which were already merged.
    - Shuffled 'Make DISCARD_BARRIER and DISCARD_NOBARRIER writes instead of
    reads' to the front of the queue since it's not controversial and could
    be merged earlier.
    - Inserted 'Unify blk_ioctl_discard and blkdev_issue_discard' as patch two.
    - Updated 'ide: Add support for TRIM' to compile with new IDE code.

    Still to do:
    - Understand all the changes Bart made to the IDE code; I didn't make all
    the changes that he did. I just made it compile for now.
    - Dave had some objections to the description of 'Make DISCARD_BARRIER and
    DISCARD_NOBARRIER writes instead of reads', but didn't propose replacement
    text.
    - Figure out what to do about memory allocation.
    - Handle error returns from discard_prep.
    - Test the new code still works.
    - Delve into the latest SCSI spec and see if anything changed in UNMAP

    Given the extensive length of the todo list, I shan't send out the mailbomb.

    --
    Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
    a retrograde step."

      Last update: 2009-05-03 09:19    [W:0.021 / U:0.532 seconds]