SubjectRe: [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce
Hi.

On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 14:32 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Mon 2009-05-25 19:27:46, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 15:58 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > If you know about reliability problems in swsusp, please fix them in
> > > separate patch. Hiding the fixes in 8KLOC patch is not nice.
> >
> > I'm going to try to. Unfortunately, they'll require what's basically a
> > group-up redesign of the basic algorithm, because to get maximum
> > reliability, you need to carefully account for the amount of storage
> > you're going to need and the amount of memory you have available, and
> > 'prepare' the image prior to doing the atomic copy.
>
> I don't quite get it; why is that needed?
>
> If there's not enough swap available, swsusp should freeze, realize
> there's no swap, unfreeze and continue. I do not see reliability
> problem there.

If there's not enough storage available (I'm also thinking of the file
allocator Oliver wants), freeing some memory may get you in a position
where you can hibernate. It makes sense to try to calculate how much
memory you need to free, thaw kernel threads (but not userspace), seek
to free that memory and try again - especially once we get a
shrink_all_memory replacement/rework that actually gives you what you
ask for if that's possible (that was the point to the extra code I used
to have in vmscan.c).

Regards,

Nigel

  Last update: 2009-05-25 23:41    [W:0.141 / U:0.356 seconds]