SubjectRe: How to tell whether a struct file is held by a process?
> the OP), is to make there be a global "prevent kernel drivers from
> autobinding to devices on his port" flag, and manage the rest with
> lockfiles in userspace.

Your "practical example" seems to bear no relation to the other stuff,
its a separate topic altogether.

Yes a "don't probe this port" would make sense. The fact kernel space
probes the USB devices by default like the fact we probe partitions by
default and scan scsi busses by default are all really mistakes inherited
from traditional OS designs which also mess up virtualisation the same
way.

So add a skip_ports= facility to the usb core code (or a general
auto_enumerate=0 and a udev interface to trigger scanning so your udev
rules can enumerate just the ports you want). That is probably cleaner
because it makes the identification of ports rather cleaner and clearer.

Alan

  Last update: 2009-05-22 11:55    [W:0.064 / U:0.020 seconds]