SubjectRe: inotify limits - thousands (tens of thousands?) of watches
Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hmmm, I think you could just run a rsync periodically. It might even be faster
> detecting changed files.

I beg to differ on this: rsync does quite intensive (in terms of disk
activity and CPU activity) comparisons at the beginning of
synchronization. It's pretty light later, true, but running rsync every
few minutes on entire /home is IMO out of question.

> I wrote a ruby script using libinotify-ruby which does just that. I only syncs
> on demand tough. I.e. when someplace places a special sync file in a watched
> directory.

> That script is running productively for well over a year now.

Good to know the idea is not totally off the wall.. Thanks.

Anyway, I'll try using fsnotify / fanotify.

My main gripe with it, though, is that it is not in the mainline kernel,
and thus in all probability it is not tested as widely as inotify.

Are there any chances for its inclusion in the near future?

Regards,
mk

  Last update: 2009-05-20 14:19    [W:0.042 / U:0.868 seconds]