    SubjectRe: inotify limits - thousands (tens of thousands?) of watches
    El Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:26:57AM +0200 Marcin Krol ha dit:

    > First, apols for using up bandwidth, but I honestly found no other place
    > where I can ask about this (and get meaningful reply).
    > I'm not a kernel programmer, but I want to develop a program that would
    > watch modifications in *all* user directories on a busy server using
    > inotify.
    > This is for high-availability purposes - events would be collected and
    > once every several minutes changed dirs would be rsync'ed to failover
    > server or smth like that would be done.
    > As inotify watches particular directory and not its subdirs, I would
    > have to watch all directories.
    > This means I would have to create thousands or even tens of thousands of
    > inotify watches.
    > So my questions are:
    > 1. is it safe? that is, will it not lock the kernel up, or cause
    > excessive memory consumption?
    > 2. is it economic in terms of CPU time and RAM? I have no idea how to
    > even measure such a thing happening in the kernel..

    i can't answer your question whether inotify scales or not, but maybe
    DRBD ( could be an alternative
    approach for your problem

    Matthias Kaehlcke
    Embedded Linux Engineer

    Me lo contaron y lo olvidé, lo vi y lo entendí, lo hice y lo aprendí
    using free software / Debian GNU/Linux | : :' :
    `. `'`
    gpg --keyserver --recv-keys 47D8E5D4 `-

      Last update: 2009-05-20 12:07    [W:0.026 / U:102.884 seconds]