SubjectRe: Where do we stand with the Xen patches?
> >> As in the past, my main worry is performance overhead of paravirt in
> >> general.
> >>
> >> The patches that dont affect any native kernel fast path are
> >> probably OK (but still pending final review).
> >>
> >> Regarding patches that do change the fastpath i'll do a round of
> >> measurements of CONFIG_PARAVIRT against !CONFIG_PARAVIRT kernels,
> >> and make up my mind based on that.
> >>
> >> You could accelerate this by sending some "perf stat" hard numbers
> >> to give us an idea about where we stand today.
> >>
> >> Ingo
> >
> > maybe this is iust a stupid comment (please forgive, i?m no advanced kernel
> > hacker), but can?t the code inserted by the patches and which changes the
> > fastpath just #IFDEF`ed at the critical offsets ? (as building a dom0 kernel is
> > just another build target, isn`t it ?)
>
> no, if dom0 is going to be widely deployed, it will be because the distros
> turn on dom0 support by default. as a result any penalties due to xen
> support will be felt by all users of those distros (even if they don't use
> xen)
>
> David Lang

so what?

print a huge warning on boot that running dom0 for xen may affect performance and that
you should better run a normal kernel instead if you don`t use xen , and you`re done.

or is maintaining two different kernel packages a problem?

if so, instead of using IFDEF`s, can`t the critical path`s being generously circumvented
by default, (if, else...), needing some dom0 kernel bootparam to be activated (i.e. use
the kernel as dom0 kernel) ?

or is this too short-sighted view of the things ?

regards
roland