SubjectRe: [Security] [patch] random: make get_random_int() more random

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 May 2009, Jake Edge wrote:
> >
> > It seems like this should be queued up for stable, yes? I just
> > saw the 2.6.29.4 review patches go out, but this wasn't part of
> > it ...
>
> Well, I was hoping to maybe have actual timing numbers from some
> better hash, in case Matt can make one that is efficient enough.
> So I committed the randomness improvement as a clear _improvement_
> over what we had, but it may not be the final version.

yep, it was just a quick hack really. If someone can do a stronger
hash that also happens to be faster i guess we all will be happy
campers. The performance figures showed room for improvement - how
well are those hashes optimized? Many thousands of cycles ... is
that really justified?

> That said, I guess the same argument can be used for pushing it
> towards stable too. Even if we end up doing something fancier, the
> patch is clearly not any worse than what we have currently.

Agreed. Havent seen any issues due to it. Jake, mind bouncing the
commit notification to stable@kernel.org?

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-05-15 15:53    [W:0.101 / U:2.764 seconds]