SubjectRe: ext3/ext4 directories don't shrink after deleting lots of files
Date
On May 14, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Josef Bacik wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss@iki.fi> wrote:
>> I've noticed that if you create e.g. 100k files to a directory and
>> then
>> delete the files, the directory entry still seems to take a couple of
>> megabytes. Later whenever accessing the (almost empty) directory it
>> can
>> take a few seconds to load it into cache.
>>
>> Is there a way to shrink the directory somehow without having to
>> rmdir()
>> it? Would be nice if kernel did it automatically, but I could live
>> with
>> a manual userspace syscall/tool as well.
>>

> fsck -D <device>, when its unmounted of course.

I was rather thinking something that I could run while the system was
fully operational. Otherwise just moving the files to a temp directory
+ rmdir() + rename() would have been fine too.

I just tested that xfs, jfs and reiserfs all shrink the directories
immediately. Is it more difficult to implement for ext* or has no one
else found this to be a problem?

  Last update: 2009-05-15 02:49    [W:0.060 / U:2.072 seconds]