    SubjectRe: Help to edit inode content
    From
    On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Manish Katiyar <mkatiyar@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:41 AM, ranjith kannikara
    > <ranjithkannikara@gmail.com> wrote:

    >>> Are you asking whether it is possible to modify the on-disk structure
    >>> of the ext3 inode? Generally that is NOT allowed because it will of
    >>> course break all existing filesystems if not done with extreme care.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers, Andreas
    >>> --
    >>> Andreas Dilger
    >>> Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
    >>> Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.
    >>>

    >> Hi,
    >> Actually I was asking the same. whether it is possible to edit the
    >> inode content of a disk or the image of a disk. Did you mean that it
    >> is not possible at all. Is there any method to edit the inode content
    >> and use the edited inode for a file, If we can ensure high care.
    >> because such a method will be the most robust one in the recovery of
    >> deleted file.
    >
    > Sorry , but it is still not clear to me whether you are trying to
    > change the on-disk structure of the inode or just change the ondisk
    > *contents* of some deleted inode to recover it.  Can you give an
    > example of what you are trying to do ?
    >
    > Thanks -
    > Manish

    Ok, I will
    I want to edit the contects of some deleted inode to recover the file. ie
    I have a file 'foo' with inode 123. and the inode have the direct and
    indirect data pointers in it.
    Now i deleted the file and is trying to recover it.
    I somehow could get what was the content,which is the pointers in the inode.
    Now I would like to edit the inode 123 so that it will contain the
    above pointers and will be the same deleted file itself.

    I hope now its clear and you can help me.
    Regards
    Ranju.

    --
    http://www.ranjithkannikara.blogspot.com/