SubjectRe: Help to edit inode content
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:41 AM, ranjith kannikara
<ranjithkannikara@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Andreas Dilger <adilger@sun.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> But we would like to know whether it is possible to edit the inode
>>> because it will make the recovery easy and robust. ie he know the
>>> details of the inode of the file which had been deleted is it possible
>>> to edit the content of that inode with the pointers of the deleted
>>> file.?
>>
>> Are you asking whether it is possible to modify the on-disk structure
>> of the ext3 inode? Generally that is NOT allowed because it will of
>> course break all existing filesystems if not done with extreme care.
>>
>> Cheers, Andreas
>> --
>> Andreas Dilger
>> Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
>> Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.
>>

> Hi,
> Actually I was asking the same. whether it is possible to edit the
> inode content of a disk or the image of a disk. Did you mean that it
> is not possible at all. Is there any method to edit the inode content
> and use the edited inode for a file, If we can ensure high care.
> because such a method will be the most robust one in the recovery of
> deleted file.

Sorry , but it is still not clear to me whether you are trying to
change the on-disk structure of the inode or just change the ondisk
*contents* of some deleted inode to recover it. Can you give an
example of what you are trying to do ?

Thanks -
Manish

> Regards