    SubjectRe: Help to edit inode content
    From
    On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Andreas Dilger <adilger@sun.com> wrote:
    > On May 12, 2009  21:32 +0530, ranjith kannikara wrote:
    >> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Bryan Donlan <bdonlan@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> But we would like to know whether it is possible to edit the inode
    >> because it will make the recovery easy and robust. ie he know the
    >> details of the inode of the file which had been deleted is it possible
    >> to edit the content of that inode with the pointers of the deleted
    >> file.?
    >
    > Are you asking whether it is possible to modify the on-disk structure
    > of the ext3 inode? Generally that is NOT allowed because it will of
    > course break all existing filesystems if not done with extreme care.
    >
    > Cheers, Andreas
    > --
    > Andreas Dilger
    > Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
    > Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.

    Hi,
    Actually I was asking the same. whether it is possible to edit the
    inode content of a disk or the image of a disk. Did you mean that it
    is not possible at all. Is there any method to edit the inode content
    and use the edited inode for a file, If we can ensure high care.
    because such a method will be the most robust one in the recovery of
    deleted file.

    Regards
    ranju.

    --