SubjectRe: [git-pull -tip] x86: Addition of cpufeatures to friendly access miscellaneous MSRs
Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:

> Jaswinder Singh Rajput (15):
> x86: Add cpufeature for Processor Name
> x86: Add cpufeatures for Advanced Power Management
> x86: Add cpufeature for Microcode update
> x86: Add cpufeature for Cache MSRs
> x86: Add cpufeature for Hard and Soft Poweron configuration
> x86: Add cpufeature for Scaleable bus speed
> x86: Add cpufeature for Miscellaneous Features
> x86: Add cpufeature for Platform feature
> x86: Add cpufeature for Hardware configuration
> x86: Add cpufeature for System configuration
> x86: Add cpufeature for System management mode (SMM)
> x86: Add cpufeature for MM configuration
> x86: Add cpufeature for Bus configuration
> x86: Add cpufeature for performance frequency APERF/MPERF
> x86: Add cpufeature for ancient performance monitoring

Overall, I'm rather confused what the point of this is supposed to be.
There is value to centralizing CPU knowledge, but some of these flags
are only used in one place, and as far as I can see in several of your
patches they aren't used *at all*.

If there is no in-kernel user there is absolutely no point to this.

-hpa

  Last update: 2009-05-11 20:19    [W:0.125 / U:0.180 seconds]