SubjectRe: svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).
Date
On Monday 11 May 2009, you wrote:
> On May 10, 2009, at 8:48 PM, Frans Pop wrote:
> > After switching from 2.6.29.2 to 2.6.30-rc5 I get this new message
> > during boot of my home server:
> > svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).
>
> Is this the only instance of this message, or do you see it several
> times?

It's the only one.

> > This looks to be the result of the following commit:
> > commit 363f724cdd3d2ae554e261be995abdeb15f7bdd9
> > Author: Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com>
> > SUNRPC: rpcb_register() should handle errors silently
> > Move error reporting for RPC registration to rpcb_register's
> > caller.
> >
> > Question is: do I really want to know this? I assume the "failure"
> > happened with previous kernels too, but silently.
>
> The point of that commit was to report errors _less_ frequently.

:-)

> The server-side RPC code is attempting to be more automatic about
> which address families are supported by kernel NFS services. This
> message tells us that some particular case is not handled yet. I
> suspect you weren't seeing this error in the past at all.

Correct. Neither this exact error, nor anything remotely similar.

> Can you report more about your server configuration? What
> distribution is this?

Debian stable (Lenny).
nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server (1.1.2)

I'm using nfs4. rpc.statd is not running; rpc.mountd and rpc.idmapd are.

> Does user space have portmapper or rpcbind?

portmap (6.0)

> Are you blacklisting ipv6.ko?

No, the server has IPv6 enabled.
I'm using NFS mainly from my laptop though, which does not have an IPv6
address for my home network.

> What's the output of "rpcinfo" on your server after it has started NFSD?

I guess you mean the -p option?

$ rpcinfo -p
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 47955 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 47955 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 47955 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 41860 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 41860 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 41860 nlockmgr
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
100005 1 udp 40032 mountd
100005 1 tcp 40623 mountd
100005 2 udp 40032 mountd
100005 2 tcp 40623 mountd
100005 3 udp 40032 mountd
100005 3 tcp 40623 mountd
391002 2 tcp 792 sgi_fam

Cheers,
FJP

  Last update: 2009-05-11 16:43    [W:0.043 / U:0.068 seconds]