    SubjectRe: [patch 00/13] devtmpfs patches
    On Mon, 11 May 2009 16:14:28 +0200
    Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org> wrote:

    > On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 15:10, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
    > wrote:
    > >> And I did, and it's obvious that creating a single file along with
    > >> the ~10 we already create in /sys, instead of running through /sys
    > >> or /proc later and reconstruct what we missed, is always, and in
    > >> every case faster and simpler. It gets rid of a bunch of things we
    > >> need to
    > >
    > > Arjan's numbers for sysfs are 0.06 seconds if I remember the mail
    > > correctly. That doesn't account for any meaningful speedup.
    >
    > Sure it does. It is great, and it started a huge effort for many
    > people to think about the current way to do it. It is very welcome and
    > it counts a lot, and there is no doubt, that most of the gains we get
    > today are due to Arjans work in that area.
    >
    > But he does not use an initramfs, and distros insist to do that. And
    > that basically means you need to prepare /dev two times, and also prep

    eh why?

    this is the part I'm missing.
    Make /dev in the initramfs, then bind-mount-move it to its final
    location later.

    you ever only need to fill your tmpfs /dev once. initramfs or not.

      Last update: 2009-05-11 16:35    [W:0.042 / U:2.312 seconds]