SubjectRe: [patch -mmotm] mm: invoke oom killer for __GFP_NOFAIL
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 08:21:21PM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Correct.

> >> __GFP_NOFAIL allocations shouldn't fail, that's the point of the gfp flag.
> >> So failing without attempting to free some memory is the wrong thing to
> >> do.
> >
> > Thanks for quick reply.
> > I was confused by your description.
> > I thought you suggested we have to prevent loop forever.

> >> Sure, if it selects a task that will free a lot of memory, which is it's
> >> goal.
> >>

> > How do we know any task have a lot of memory ?
> > If we select wrong task and kill one ?
> >
> > I have a concern about innocent task.
>
> Now, I look over __out_of_memory.
> For selecting better tasks in case of PAGE_ALLOC_COSTRY_ORDER, How
> about increasing score of task which have VM_HUGETLB vma in badness ?

That is unjustified. It penalises a process even if it only allocated one
hugepage and it is not a reflection of how much memory the process is using
or how badly behaved it is.

Even worse, if the huge page was allocated from the static hugepage pool then
the hugepages are freed to the hugepage pool and not the page allocator when
the process is killed. This means that killing a process using hugepages
does not necessarily help applications requiring more memory unless they
also want hugepages. However, a hugepage allocation will not trigger the
OOM killer so killing processes using hugepages still does not help.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center

  Last update: 2009-05-11 15:41    [W:0.102 / U:0.720 seconds]