SubjectRe: [patch 00/13] devtmpfs
On Mon, 11 May 2009 13:34:52 +0200
Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org> wrote:

> > - That the other proposals are worse than yours.
>
> I also did, in exactly this thread.

no you have not. But I'd like you to ;)

You have not commented substantially on my counter proposal to make the
single file with the "device list" (eg char/block, major, minor, name)
so that userland can make the nodes in 0.01-or-less seconds, but
with the permissions/owners it wants and the tmpfs mount options it
wants.

Again this makes for a more flexible solution (not flexible in "if you
don't like it don't use it" sense but flexible in the "there's multiple
uses and ways to use it" sense) while keeping the benefits of what you
want to achieve.

Eric has shown that making the nodes itself and mounting the tmpfs is
basically free, but that the cost (0.05 seconds) was in groveling
through sysfs. Fixing that.. I'm all for it.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2009-05-11 15:09    [W:0.231 / U:0.352 seconds]