    SubjectRe: [patch -mmotm] mm: invoke oom killer for __GFP_NOFAIL
    From
    On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM, David Rientjes <rientjes@google.com> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 May 2009, Minchan Kim wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmm.. if __alloc_pages_may_oom fail to allocate free page due to order > PAGE_ALLOC_COSTRY_ORDER,
    >>>
    >>> It will go to nopage label in __alloc_pages_slowpath.
    >>> Then it will show the page allocation failure warning and will return.
    >>> Retrying depends on caller.
    >>>

    >> Correct.
    >>
    >>> So, I think it won't loop forever.
    >>> Do I miss something ?
    >>>

    >> __GFP_NOFAIL allocations shouldn't fail, that's the point of the gfp flag.
    >> So failing without attempting to free some memory is the wrong thing to
    >> do.
    >
    > Thanks for quick reply.
    > I was confused by your description.
    > I thought you suggested we have to prevent loop forever.
    >

    >>> In addition, the OOM killer can help for getting the high order pages ?
    >>>

    >> Sure, if it selects a task that will free a lot of memory, which is it's
    >> goal.
    >>

    > How do we know any task have a lot of memory ?
    > If we select wrong task and kill one ?
    >
    > I have a concern about innocent task.

    Now, I look over __out_of_memory.
    For selecting better tasks in case of PAGE_ALLOC_COSTRY_ORDER, How
    about increasing score of task which have VM_HUGETLB vma in badness ?

    --
    Kinds regards,
    Minchan Kim

      Last update: 2009-05-11 13:23    [W:0.022 / U:212.536 seconds]