    SubjectRe: [RFI] Shared accounting for memory resource controller
    On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 12:34:01 +0530
    Balbir Singh <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

    > * KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@jp.fujitsu.com> [2009-04-08 15:15:29]:

    > > > OK, I noticed another thing, our RSS accounting is not RSS per-se, it
    > > > includes only anon RSS, file backed pages are accounted as cached.
    > > > I'll send out a patch to see if we can include anon RSS as well.
    > > >

    > > I think we can't do it in memcg layer without new-hook because file caches
    > > are added to radix-tree before mapped.
    > >
    > > mm struct has anon_rss and file_rss coutners. Then, you can show
    > > sum of total maps of file pages. maybe.
    > >

    > Yes, correct and that is a hook worth adding, IMHO. Better statistics
    > are critical and it will also help us with the shared memory
    > accounting. Without that we can't account for file rss in the memory
    > cgroup.

    Finally, you'll be asked "is it necessary ?", if the cost is big.
    From my point of view, I can't see what new information it will give us.
    But maybe useful because the user can avoid some calculation.

    Cheers,
    -Kame

      Last update: 2009-04-08 09:13    [W:2.485 / U:0.284 seconds]