    SubjectRe: IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM question...
    On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 00:09 +0200, Sven-Haegar Koch wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, Matt Mackall wrote:
    > > On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 14:30 -0400, Robin Getz wrote:
    > > > We have lots of embedded headless systems (no keyboard/mouse, no soundcard, no
    > > > video) systems with *no* sources of entropy - and people using SSL.
    > >
    > > I'd rather add a random_sample_network call somewhere reasonably central
    > > in the network stack. Then we can use the knowledge that the sample is
    > > network-connected in the random core to decide how to measure its
    > > entropy. The trouble with IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM is that many of its users
    > > are technically bogus as entropy sources in the current model.
    > >
    > > I'm eventually going to move the RNG away from the strict theoretical
    > > entropy accounting model to a more pragmatic one which will be much
    > > happier with iffy entropy sources, but that's a ways off.
    > Btw, perhaps not the perfect question in this thread:
    > But what should we use to keep servers running without a hardware rng
    > available and without any external input besides the network?
    > After having ssh and openvpn die because of no random and having
    > the machines like dead and unreachable for me I use "ln -sf
    > /dev/urandom /dev/random", but that does not feel so good.

    It's fine so long as you're not wearing a tinfoil hat. In fact, as
    the /dev/random maintainer, I'd recommend it.

    Ted and I have recently been talking about revisiting the design
    of /dev/random to avoid these sorts of issues.

    -- : development and support for Mercurial and Linux

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-04-07 02:21    [W:0.019 / U:172.896 seconds]