    SubjectRe: Staging: sxg: Add support to download the firmware using request_firmware()
    On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 06:19:55PM -0700, David Woodhouse wrote:
    > On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 18:07 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > > Who do we email to add this to?
    > Clone,
    > add your firmware (and update the WHENCE file accordingly), and send me
    > a pull request. Preferably with a Signed-off-by: from within the company
    > that owns the firmware in question.

    Care to document this somewhere in the kernel tree so we know about it?

    > > And finally, what's wrong with adding new firmware images into the
    > > firmware/ directory? What is the issue here?
    > We're working on _removing_ this crap from the kernel source tree -- not
    > adding new instances of it.

    Firmware isn't "crap", it's needed by devices, and I don't see the
    problem of distributing it within the kernel tree, especially when the
    license of the firmware is just fine, like these files are.

    > We have a separate repository in which we're collecting
    > redistributable firmware images, and the distributions are moving
    > towards shipping that instead of just the legacy stuff from the kernel
    > tree. Add any new firmware to that repository instead, as described
    > above.

    Are there releases of the firmware tree published and announced
    anywhere so the distros know to do this?

    greg k-h

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-04-06 04:41    [W:0.026 / U:239.716 seconds]