SubjectRe: [Bug #13058] First hibernation attempt fails
Date
On Wednesday 22 April 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Of course, this will protect the calling task from getting oom-killed.
> > But it doesn't protect other tasks from getting oom-killed due to the
> > activity of _this_ task.
> >
> > But I think that problem already exists, and that this proposal doesn't
> > worsen anything, yes?
> >
> > Or is it the case that all other tasks are safely stuck in the freezer
> > at this time, so they won't be allocating any memory anyway?
>
> That is the idea, yes. ... but we now have more threads that are not
> freezable... so they may allocate the memory.
>
> Is it non-feasible to free memory without really going and allocating
> everything?

The question is whether there is a point. In principle we can just go and
allocate as much as we need upfront. It shouldn't change anything, because
we resume and suspend devices after creating the image anyway.

I think we could try to disable the OOM killer before suspend and just
allocate the memory for the image right before devices are suspended for the
first time.

Thanks,
Rafael

  Last update: 2009-04-22 22:15    [W:0.273 / U:0.208 seconds]