    SubjectRe: Wait for console to become available, v3.2
    > +config PRINTK_CONSOLE_WAIT
    > + int "Default number of milliseconds to wait for console device"
    > + default 1000
    >
    > Does this only delay init during a console-less bootup - or are
    > there other later apps that might trigger the delay?

    The console proper needs to be event based not timeout hacks. Can we
    please fix this stuff properly ? To start with there is no reason that the
    USB console can't implement a "maybe we have hardware, maybe I buffer 64K
    until it shows up" behaviour and bind to hardware as and when USB serial
    devices get inserted. We do much of this for the VT drivers so we save
    messages before PCI and fb come up.

    The timeout wait proposed is also wrong I agree. Take a timestamp at the
    point we are ready to mount the root fs, any delays on root mount, console
    appearance etc should then be tested against this timestamp not as delays
    versus some undefined later event.

    Alan

      Last update: 2009-04-21 16:43    [W:0.022 / U:90.676 seconds]