    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29

    On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > >
    > > A suitable design for the streaming might be, every 4MB:
    > >
    > > - run sync_file_range(SYNC_FILE_RANGE_WRITE) to get the 4MB underway
    > > to the disk
    > >
    > > - run fadvise(POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED) against the previous 4MB to
    > > discard it from pagecache.
    >
    > Here's an example. I call it "overwrite.c" for obvious reasons.

    Oh, except my example doesn't do the fadvise. Instead, I make sure to
    throttle the writes and the old range with

    SYNC_FILE_RANGE_WAIT_BEFORE|SYNC_FILE_RANGE_WRITE|SYNC_FILE_RANGE_WAIT_AFTER

    which makes sure that the old pages are easily dropped by the VM - and
    they will be, since they end up always being on the cold list.

    I _wanted_ to add a SYNC_FILE_RANGE_DROP but I never bothered because this
    particular load it didn't matter. The system was perfectly usable while
    overwriting even huge disks because there was never more than 8MB of dirty
    data in flight in the IO queues at any time.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-04-02 19:11    [W:2.422 / U:0.352 seconds]