SubjectRe: [patch 0/6] Guest page hinting version 7.
Date
On Friday 03 April 2009 02:52:49 Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 22:32:00 +1100
> Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On Monday 30 March 2009 01:23:36 Martin Schwidefsky wrote:

> > > The performance test I have seen so far show that the benefits of
> > > ballooning vs. guest page hinting are about the same. I am still
> > > convinced that the guest page hinting is the way to go because you do
> > > not need an external monitor. Calculating the working set size for a
> > > guest is a challenge. With guest page hinting there is no need for a
> > > working set size calculation.
> >
> > Sounds backwards to me. If the benefits are the same, then having
> > complexity in an external monitor (which, by the way, shares many
> > problems and goals of single-kernel resource/workload management),
> > rather than putting a huge chunk of crap in the guest kernel's core
> > mm code.
>
> The benefits are the same but the algorithmic complexity is reduced.
> The patch to the memory management has complexity in itself but from a
> 1000 feet standpoint guest page hinting is simpler, no?

Yeah but that's a tradeoff I'll begrudgingly make, considering
a) lots of people doing workload management inside cgroups/containers
need similar algorithmic complexity so improvements to those
algorithms will help one another
b) it may be adding complexity, but it isn't adding complexity to a
subsystem that is already among the most complex in the kernel
c) i don't have to help maintain it

> The question
> how much memory each guest has to release does not exist. With the
> balloner I have seen a few problematic cases where the size of
> the balloon in principle killed the guest. My favorite is the "clever"
> monitor script that queried the guests free memory and put all free
> memory into the balloon. Now gues what happened with a guest that just
> booted..
>
> And could you please explain with a few more words >what< you consider
> to be "crap"? I can't do anything with a general statement "this is
> crap". Which translates to me: leave me alone..

:) No it's cool code, interesting idea etc, and last time I looked I
don't think I saw any fundamental (or even any significant incidental)
bugs.

So I guess my problem with it is that it adds complexity to benefit a
small portion of users where there is already another solution that
another set of users already require.

> > I still think this needs much more justification.
>
> Ok, I can understand that. We probably need a KVM based version to show
> that benefits exist on non-s390 hardware as well.

Should be significantly better than ballooning too.

  Last update: 2009-04-02 18:27    [W:0.160 / U:0.216 seconds]