    SubjectRe: [rfc] scale dcache locking
    On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 03:23:12PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
    > On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 02:55:39AM +1100, wrote:
    > > This is my sketch for improving dcache locking scalability. So far I've
    > > only really been looking at core code to get an idea of how it might look,
    > > so most configurable functionality is broken (and unfortunately it might
    > > well be something in there which will cause a fundamental problem for me).
    > Umm... Some of that makes obvious sense per se, some... In particular,
    > all of a sudden we get contention between multiple dput() on the same
    > dentry, which is dirt-common for directory ones.

    Yes that's true but I'm hoping lock hold times on d_lock aren't
    too long, in which case the major cost should remain just the
    cacheline contention.

    Hmm, I wanted to avoid the atomic because it tends to be covered
    by d_lock a lot of the time anyway so avoiding the extra locked op,
    and also makes concurrency a bit easier to think about.

    In worst case, I guess we need to reintroduce atomic refcount or
    have another lock for it...

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-04-02 11:47    [W:0.021 / U:10.816 seconds]