SubjectRe: kbuild - introduce support for subdir-ccflags-y
On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:17:44PM -0400, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> >> This is optional - if you dont want it, you dont set it.
> >
> > Please read _all_ of my mail, particularly the bit where it talks about
> > it being useful for a certain subset.
>
> It's my impression that on x86 it's a config option whether or not to
> build with -Werror. You could do the exact same thing with an
> internal inverted-logic CONFIG_ARM_ALLOW_WARNINGS option and make all
> the boards triggering warnings "select ARM_ALLOW_WARNINGS". Then have
> a user-visible config option "ARM_USER_ALLOW_WARNINGS" which also
> selects the internal option. That adds some additional kconfig-level
> documentation on which subarch combos need some love.

Correct - but Russell's original comment was that the subdir-* feature
was of no use for arm. And this is correct with the current way
the individual directories are specified.

If you compare arch/x86/kernel/ and arch/arm/kernel/ you will see
that x86 has 3 subdirectories where arm has none.

Another measure:
Arm has 12 Makefiles outside mach* and plat* where x86 has 24 Makefiles.

Ao unless Russell decide to take the patch that refactor all the core-*
stuff out in a Kbuild file arm has no use of subdir-ccflags-y and
can use the already existing ccflags-y if they decide to cover
most of arm with -Werror.

Sam