    SubjectRe: Does the linux kernel contain support for ATA Security feature set?
    Date
    So when I do a hdparm --security-set-pass NULL /dev/sda

    I get a

    SECURITY_ERASE: Input/output error

    This is with a kernel that doesn't have CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL=y defined

    I'm also told that for SATA drives that's not necessary anyway. Is
    that correct?

    What should the response be for hdparm if CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL isn't
    defined for a drive that needs it?

    The drive is an Intel X-25M

    HDDERASE won't work since I'm on a Mac.

    I don't want to create a customized lived CD witth a new kernel unless
    it's necessary.

    On Apr 16, 2009, at 7:50 PM, Robert Nicholson wrote:

    > So you're implying that it is possible to do a SECURE_ERASE using
    > hdparm then.
    >
    > I don't know why but HDDERASE tool requires legacy IDE mode.
    >
    > On Apr 16, 2009, at 7:46 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 06:49:59PM -0500, Robert Nicholson wrote:
    >>> So, I've got an X-25M that I want to securely erase and it turns out
    >>> on a Mac I'm not going to be able to issue the command because it
    >>> doesn't support legacy IDE mode from what I understand. So the
    >>> idea of
    >>> a any boot CD that I could boot and run a program that can issue a
    >>> SECURE_ERASE (SE) to the drive is only applicable to PC's.
    >>
    >> Why is the lack of legacy IDE an issue? hdparm works fine with SATA
    >> setups.
    >> --
    >> Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

      Last update: 2009-04-19 21:35    [W:0.027 / U:0.668 seconds]