SubjectRe: kbuild - introduce support for subdir-ccflags-y
On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 02:51:59PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> The typical use cases are an architecture or a subsystem that
> decide to cover all files with -Werror.
> Today alpha, mips and sparc uses -Werror in almost all their
> Makefile - with subdir-ccflag-y it is now simpler to do so
> as only the top-level directories needs to be covered.

Hmm, this won't make sense for ARM. We have things like #warning and
deprecated functions in machine specific headers, and adding -Werror
to the whole of arch/arm/ will result in these causing builds to fail.

Adding it just for boot,common,kernel,lib,mm,nwfpe,oprofile,vfp (iow
everything except the mach-* and plat-* directories) would make sense
though.

> The feature is added because the x86 guys are planning
> to (conditionally) cover all of arch/x86/ with -Werrror
> and adding this statement in each single Makefile
> was *the wrong way* to do so.

I think that's the way we're going to _have_ to do it on ARM.

--
Russell King
maintainer of:

  Last update: 2009-04-18 15:01    [W:0.051 / U:0.220 seconds]