SubjectRe: dm-multipath and write request ordering

Bart Van Assche, on 04/13/2009 03:22 PM wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Several people are using the dm-multipath software as follows:
> * Linux server A is using dm-multipath to access data stored on
> servers B and C via two iSCSI sessions -- one session between servers
> A and B and one session between servers A and C.
> * On servers B and C iSCSI target software exports a block device that
> is replicated between servers B and C.
>
> Round-robin load balancing will only work correctly in such a setup if
> the replication software knows the order in which write requests have
> been queued on the dm-multipath device. Since iSCSI uses the TCP/IP
> protocol, write requests generated by server A can arrive out-of-order
> on servers B and C. My questions are as follows:
> - Is it correct that round-robin load balancing can only work
> correctly in such a setup with proper support for write barriers in
> the device mapper ?

Not necessary. If replication between B and C done synchronously,
barriers are not needed. Barriers are necessary only for async commands,
when the next command sent before the previous one completed.

Vlad

  Last update: 2009-04-16 17:41    [W:0.220 / U:1.172 seconds]