SubjectRe: USB storage no-boot regression (bisected)
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 01:06:14PM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> For other pieces it's hard. Non-enumeratable busses just suck;
> at some point all you can do is just wait (which we have already
> available today for anyone to do). I realize people don't want to
> just wait 4 seconds (the people who first objected to boot time
> improvements then suddenly care about boot time ;-)...

We can do better than just waiting. What we want to do is to wait
until a suitable device becomes available. For USB console, the patch
I submitted yesterday waits for the first console to be registered.
That might not be quite right, but it's a lot better than no console
at all. For network devices, we have to wait for a specific device and
I haven't had a chance to look at this. For both types of devices, we
can timeout after a reasonable interval, for some definition of reasonable.

Waiting for a suitable device preserves fast boot times, timing out allows
the system to come up enough to try to diagnose the problem.

David VomLehn

  Last update: 2009-04-15 22:25    [W:0.085 / U:0.596 seconds]