SubjectRe: 2.6.30-rc1 (latest git): thinkpad-acpi: cannot control brightness with hotkeys (BISECTED)
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:55:55PM +0200, Niel Lambrechts wrote:

> The behaviour seems slightly different from before your 74a365b3f354
> commit in that /sys/class/backlight remains empty until i915 gets loaded
> for the first time, the contents then persist even if i915 is unloaded.
> Perhaps the directory was populated by a different kernel module, since
> when I did the bisect yesterday the directory would be there on boot
> before I started X or loaded i915.

In the past the directory would be created when the acpi video driver
was loaded, but probably wouldn't work. Doing it that way is a violation
of the opregion spec and causes some machines to break in a horrible
manner, so I'd prefer not to go back to that version...

> I'm not sure if that matters to any other user-space app. (or if
> ideally one is supposed to be able to control brightness in the console
> without having to load i915), but it's fine for controlling brightness
> in Xorg.

If you use modesetting then you shouldn't need to launch X to get
working brightness control. The problem with the old-style world is that
you won't get interrupts until X comes up.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

  Last update: 2009-04-15 22:05    [W:0.059 / U:0.272 seconds]